Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Overdue, half-hearted DVD review: Bender's Big Score


I keep trying to watch this, and I keep not being able to get through it. I'm a big Futurama fan, but this DVD seemed like a half hour episode stuffed with 90 minutes of filler. It also reminded me of those 1960s Warner Bros. cartoons where the original artists had left, and nothing worked: the music, the timing, the characterizations. Nothing. I also kept thinking of those pathetic Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies reunion movies in the 70s and 80s.

Look at the scamming aliens in this. I know they're not supposed to be pretty, but the design is just ugly. And where are the overbites? They look like they stepped out of different cartoon altogether, like a mid-70s Ralph Bakshi work. And they don't sound right either.

Once again, this is from someone who loves Futurama. I have not seen the new episodes since the return, I have to check them out. I'm thinking they just had a hard time getting back in gear. Or as the French say, "The first pancake goes to the dog."


No comments:

Post a Comment